Delight Programming Language

Peter Plantinga plantinga.peter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 00:20:29 PDT 2014

The D programming language is great, and it is starting to get
the recognition it deserves. I've seen it reach the top 20 in
many different measures of language popularity.

What it is though, is a systems language. Of course it has many
features of a higher-level language, which is what makes it
great. But I've had an idea for another language, a high-level
language, that is nearly as fast as a similar D program.

What it looks like is a D preprocessor that translates
Python-like code into D code. It was done before, and the result
was called Delight. I'm reviving this idea (though with entirely
new code, since the previous version was with D1).

A short list of the best features (that aren't already a part of
D):

* Python-like syntax
* List comprehensions
* "0 .. x" works everywhere, as I would expect it to

If you're interested, check it out at
http://github.com/pplantinga/delight. I need people to break it
and argue about design decisions.

A more complete description of the language can be found at
http://pplantinga.github.io/archives/delight-programming-language.html
and related pages.