OpenGL Examples in D and a birth of a New Initiative

Andrej Mitrovic via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon May 19 13:46:33 PDT 2014

On 5/19/14, Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Btw, I'm currently porting the Box2D physics engine to D.

For a second there I thought Dash was a 2D game engine, but it's a 3D
one, which is awesome! 2D physics can still be used with 3D graphics
to some great effect. But ultimately I would really want us to have a
3D physics engine.

I've been eyeing the Bullet physics engine. There have been several
attempts at writing bindings, but I think we (s/we/I) should make a
port instead. It will definitely take some work though. Porting Box2D
took me personally about two days of work (~20Kloc C++ codebase),
Bullet is ~150Kloc, but using things like regex for conversion
wouldn't scale here. Using a modified parser such as Daniel Murphy's
magicport or a C++ parser based on DScanner would probably work.

Anyway, I'm just rumbling out loud here to some of my future plans.
All of this will likely take a longer initial delay because I'm
relocating soon, so things will be hectic. :)