[OT Security PSA] Shellshock: Update your bash, now!

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 3 23:08:07 PDT 2014

On 10/01/2014 05:15 PM, Dicebot wrote:

> [Mint] gained lot of popularity when
> Ubuntu switched to Unity as default desktop environment and Fedora moved
> with Gnome 3 - quite many users started looking for a distro with more
> conservative defaults.

Yea, y'know, about that [entirely predictable] phenomenon: I've
occasionally wondered whether Canonical, and the Gnome devs (the ones
that didn't jump ship to Mate/Cinn), and heck even MS and Mozilla...if
they've been *deliberately* trying to decrease their userbase.

I know personally that permitting optional settings is *not* as
difficult as those organizations/devs make it out to be, *especially*
when compared to the effort involved in completely redoing a whole damn
UI. So it's really the only explanation I can come up with to explain
Gnome3/Win8/FF3/FF4/FF29/Unity/etc other than just "they must've all
gone nuts" ;)

> However [Mint's] development / maintenance team does
> not seem to match that popularity burst.

Yes, of course that isn't a complaint against Mint. Despite having left
it, I do like Mint, FWIW. I just wanted to go rolling release (and
really, the non-free stuff isn't all that difficult to get up and
running on straight Debian at this point - a lot of it worked
out-of-the-box for me, and even Flash was trivial to install after a
one-minute web search).