D2 port of Sociomantic CDGC available for early experiments

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 10 00:37:48 PDT 2014

On 10.10.2014 02:30, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/9/2014 11:25 AM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>> Martin is very much against this, one reason is that it does not work
>> with
>> druntime in a shared library.
>
> I can understand that, but I also don't know what a reasonable use case
> would be for sharing a library yet using different GC's - it sounds like
> complexity without purpose.

It was my impression that phobos in a shared library would soon become
the default on linux, i.e. any application would use it by default. In
that case, all supported GCs might actually have to be included in the
shared library.

The options to embed into the application are used to get the best
performance for the specific task using any GC available through the
shared library. That could include enabling/disabling preciseness,
tweaking initial pool sizes and increase strategy or disabling the final
collection that even runs if the GC is disabled (and might be useful
only for a very limited number of application).