Standardpaths library

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 6 13:48:32 PDT 2015

Am Sun, 05 Apr 2015 12:31:23 +0000
schrieb "FreeSlave" <freeslave93 at gmail.com>:

> On Sunday, 5 April 2015 at 11:42:42 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> > On another note when I ran your 'printdirs' it didn't list a
> > user Fonts or Applications directory. The Applications
> > directory is ok, but I do have a ~/.fonts/ directory and
> > /etc/fonts/fonts.conf says:
> >   <!-- the following element will be removed in the future -->
> >   <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
> > Fonts in ~/.fonts are listed in LibreOffice. It seems like you
> > do parse /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. Maybe there is a bug in the
> > parser?
> >
> > The whole Applications thing doesn't make much sense on Linux,
> > right? Is that a directory where applications are installed to
> > including their assets?
>
> Probably you don't have local
> $XDG_CONFIG_DIR/fontconfig/fonts.conf file.
>
> I've opened issue
> https://github.com/MyLittleRobo/standardpaths/issues/8
>
> About Applications: on my Windows 7 it returns
> C:/Users/Username/Application Data/Microsoft/Windows/Start
> Menu/ProgramsC:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs
> where .lnk files are stored (I believe these are used in the
> start  menu). Since freedesktop systems use .desktop files it
> would be sane to return paths which contain them
> (~/.local/share/applications, /usr/local/share/applications and
> /usr/share/applications). I just have not implemented it yet.
> Though not sure it the whole thing can be useful, since things
> are not the same on Windows and freedesktop: Windows uses
> directories to make menu hierarchy, while freedesktop for the
> same purpose use Categories field in .desktop files. Also .lnk
> and .desktop are different things themselves.

You are right, the two are very different. One has to write OS
specific code to use them. The funny thing is, D as a systems
programming language could actually be used by someone to
write a Linux package manager or Windows installer. :p

Do as you see fit. Qt as an inspiration is a good thing I
believe. Some classes I had a look at were intuitive and well
thought out.

--
Marco