Reggae v0.0.5 super alpha: A build system in D

Sergei Nosov via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 7 08:31:37 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 7 April 2015 at 08:25:02 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> See, the problem with this approach is that you can trivially
> get out of 1GB of memory with DMD even when compiling single
> module, all you need is to do enough compile-time magic.
> Separate compilation here delays the issue but does not
> actually solve it.

Yeah, absolutely agree. But at the moment separate compilation is
the most "forgiving" one. Like, if it doesn't work - anything
else won't work either. And given that personally I don't
recognize the (possibly) increased compilation time as an issue,
it's the solution that works for me.

> If any effort is to be put into supporting this scenario
> (on-server compilation), it is better to be put in reducing
> actual memory hog of compiler, not supporting another
> workaround.

Agreed, too. The whole "forget about frees" approach sounds a
little too controversial to me. Especially, after I have faced
the dark side of it. So, I'm all for improving in that regard.
But it seems like it's not recognized as a (high-priority) issue
at the moment. So, we (the users) have to live with that.

> Also you can still achieve the similar profile by splitting
> your project in small enough static libraries, so it is not
> completely out of question.

As I described, my project was just a couple of files. Building
vibe.d was the actual problem. I don't think it is feasible to
expect that a user of a library will start splitting it into
"small enough libraries", when faced with this problem. A more
structured approach is needed.