Calypso: Direct and full interfacing to C++

Kelly via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 17 00:45:17 PDT 2015

Hello Elie,

Elie...I added some more examples for some of the tests in
libstdc++ to a new PR. The main reason for this is that iterators
for lists and vectors work now (for those that were keeping
track, they didn't work last month or thereabouts). This makes
things work quite well for several of the STL files now.

I thought I would also point out, to those that are following
this thread, that I have tried at least a half dozen libraries
(like zeromq, vecmathlib, dlib, etc.) and I haven't been able to
get any of them to work for anything really meaningful. There is
still one fairly major compilation error in the ScopeChecker that
keeps popping up for all of these libs and a few STL files. I
just wanted to point this out, as it seems from a couple
comments, that people might be expecting to be able to just use
C++ libs with Calypso straight away, and that isn't quite the
case today. Some impressive stuff does work though...check out
the libstdc++ examples.

So, my point is that while some impressive things compile (like
CImg, which is a 50,000 line header file!! ... actually you need
to comment out 3 lines of preprocessor code but close enough) and
you might be able to instantiate a few classes and/or templates,
I don't think any significant lib will actually work
out-of-the-box with Calypso right now...but it is very close, I
think.

I just wanted to be clear about this so that there isn't too much
of a shock for anyone trying to use Calypso right away :)

Any automatic build script would be nice to have Laeeth :)

Once useful portions of a 'popular' (or requested) C++ lib work
with Calypso, I will be happy to write up a step by step
tutorial, but I don't think it is quite at that point yet.

Thanks,
Kelly