2015 H1 Vision

Mathias LANG via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 22:48:05 PST 2015

On Monday, 2 February 2015 at 05:57:27 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 16:24:00 +1100, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>
>> "Vladimir Panteleev"  wrote in message
>> news:viqwfixznbdbdwvhavuk at forum.dlang.org...
>>
>>> I don't use Dub
>>
>> You really should!  I put it off for months and months but I'm
>> quite
>> happy with it now.
>
> dub is very limited tool. first: it can't do separate
> compilation. some
> of my modules, for example, do alot of CTFE things (including
> parsing
> disk files) and eating memory like crazy. there is simply no
> way to to
> batch compiles for me. besides, batch compile means that if
> i'll change
> one line in one module, dub will recompile them all, so i
> forced to group
> modules to libraries by size, not by intent.
>
> second: dub can't compile code in other languages. some of my
> projects
> includes several C modules, for example, and my build tool has
> no
> problems building that and automatically tracking dependencies.
>
> third (it's an extension of second, actually): track arbitrary
> dependencies and exec arbitrary tools to generate some files
> based on
> that dependencies.
>
> dub is good, but only in limited use cases. so it's almost no
> sense in
> using dub if some use cases are not suitable for it: it's way
> better to
> adapt build tool that one already using (or write his own)
> instead of use
> TWO build tools for different projects.

You can do separate compilation (--build-mode=singleFile).
It was implemented, quick and dirty (my bad), for one purpose:
compile Vibe.d on a very limited machine (512 Mbs of RAM).
It has, however, no tracking of module dependency ATM, so it'll
recompile everything, everytime. This is a known issue which,
either no one is interested in, or no one has the time to. I also
remember facing DMD bugs when I gave it a shot, but they may be
fixed by now (one of them is for sure), so maybe this feature
needs a second chance.

I will not disagree on the other points (support for other
languages is what I'm missing most ATM).

If you wish to contribute patches, contact me, and I'll be the
strawman (geod24/gmail).