New book: Developing with compile time in mind

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 17 08:08:21 PST 2015

On 2/17/15 3:49 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-02-17 at 16:40 +1300, Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>>
> […]
>> Just let me know any improvements that could be made. Updates are
>> free after all! (Leanpub is amazing, what with markdown writing and
>> all).
>
> How did you find Markdown for writing a book?
>
> My prejudice is that you need XeLaTeX or AsciiDoc for large document
> writing, especially when targeting press PDF.

Mine too. However, PDF is for fixed layout and any future book should
aim at flexible format or at least multiple fixed layouts.

I think Markdown's use for a book is "works, won't ever win an interior
design contest".

TDPL's second edition will most likely use ddoc macros to generate
LaTeX, HTML, and a couple of ebook formats.

Andrei