DConf 2015 Call for Submissions is now open

Mike via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 12 16:22:31 PST 2015

On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 20:17:25 UTC, Iain Buclaw via
Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On 10 January 2015 at 20:15, Walter Bright via
> Digitalmars-d-announce
> <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

>>> I should add that gdc is a topic of much interest so pretty
>>> much anything
>>> you
>>> say would be interesting. I compel you to prepare a full
>>> talk. -- Andrei
>>>

>> I agree. There's no way you don't have interesting things to
>> talk about! For
>> example, what is your process for integrating dmd changes into
>> gdc? What are
>> the advantages/disadvantages of gdc? What are the biggest
>> challenges you
>> face working on gdc? What's the hardest problem you solved
>> with gdc? How can
>> others help out? Etc.
>
> Talking about that probably extends a possible talk to 30
> minutes,
> covering two subjects. :o)

I have a suggestion for any compiler implementers:  How about a
talk on how to get started hacking the compiler.  Something that
may lower the entry barrier and encourage participation.

Some random thoughts:
* General structure of the compiler
* Walk through the data flow: Lexer -> parser -> AST -> backend
* How to add a new compiler switch (e.g. -fnotypeinfo)
* How to add a new attribute (e.g. @notypeinfo)
* What's your workflow for debugging the compiler?
* Pick a bug, and fix it (Live demo)
* Overview of CTFE and how it's implemented
* (I'm sure you can think of more)

I realize there's documentation on the wiki, and some of this was
discussed briefly at DConf2013, but there's more that can be done
to make it accessible and interesting.

Mike