DConf 2015 Call for Submissions is now open

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 12 23:30:20 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 13 January 2015 at 00:22:33 UTC, Mike wrote:
> I have a suggestion for any compiler implementers:  How about a
> talk on how to get started hacking the compiler.  Something
> that may lower the entry barrier and encourage participation.
>
> Some random thoughts:
> * General structure of the compiler
> * Walk through the data flow: Lexer -> parser -> AST -> backend
> * How to add a new compiler switch (e.g. -fnotypeinfo)
> * How to add a new attribute (e.g. @notypeinfo)
> * What's your workflow for debugging the compiler?
> * Pick a bug, and fix it (Live demo)
> * Overview of CTFE and how it's implemented
> * (I'm sure you can think of more)
>
> I realize there's documentation on the wiki, and some of this
> was discussed briefly at DConf2013, but there's more that can
> be done to make it accessible and interesting.
>
> Mike

Sounds like a good subject for Daniel Murphy to talk about. He
spent a good hour explaining to me how a linker works in the
Aloft bar after most people had retired (thanks for that, Daniel)
and he certainly knows dmd extremely well.

I saw this talk from PyCon awhile back and it made me immediately
wish there were something like it for dmd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGF3Qu4dUqk

Hastings just steps through the python interpreter attached to
gdb (not live) and explains the structure of CPython as he goes.
It's extremely informative for would-be CPython hackers.

Do we know if the DConf 2015 talks will be recorded?