DDT 0.11.0 released

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 19 04:18:27 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 18 March 2015 at 22:32:06 UTC, Trent Forkert wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 March 2015 at 21:49:17 UTC, Bruno Medeiros
> wrote:
>> Why is it insufficient? You don't have to use DUB to the
>> exclusion of everything else. Isn't the use of the
>> preGenerateCommands
>> (http://code.dlang.org/package-format#build-settings) enough
>> to call these other build systems you use?
>
> You're joking, right?
>
> The only sensible way to use multiple languages in the same
> project is to use the same build system for them. Anything else
> is way too fragile and hackish.
>
> Arbitrary, contrived example (though not entirely unrealistic):
>  * a C(++) executable needs a static D library
>  * Said D library in turn uses a C(++) library
>  * All three of these are built as components of the same
> project
>
> So now I need a weird tangled mess of build systems calling
> each other back and forth. Dub really doesn't pull its weight
> here.

I call dub from makefile rules and feel pretty comfortable about
such pattern (apart from being not-so-portable compared to raw
dub). And building anything via IDE is just asking for trouble :)

Semantics analysis you can get by simply opening .d file in CDT
project is very limited compared to opening dub project because
it can't know the import paths for dependencies or pretty much
anything about project structure apart from opened file. This
isn't much.