[OT] bitcoin donation

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 20 23:06:36 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 10 November 2015 at 17:23:08 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 10/30/15 3:29 AM, Joakim wrote:
>
>> But I don't see how bitcoin is similar to any of those,
>> perhaps you have
>> _some_ explanation?  You don't have to keep the bitcoin, all
>> those sites
>> will buy your bitcoin with dollars anytime you want.  It's
>> just an open
>> way to trade value- in your case, just another
>> payment/donation method-
>> I don't see the issue.  If it required setting up a bunch of
>> software,
>> sure, but those websites make it easy to set up, as they run
>> the client
>> for you.
>
> Begging the question, why not trade your bitcoin for dollars
> and buy it using those?

Simple, we're already invested in bitcoin: why waste money
changing payment methods again, especially since it would be so
easy for him to accept this new payment method?  Also, perhaps
you're not aware but the fees on bitcoin are much lower than
dollar transactions (most of the time, as there are a few
low-cost dollar options like direct dwolla transfers if both are
on the same payment network), so even if he ultimately wants
dollars, it would be much cheaper to send him bitcoin and then he
can sell it for dollars anytime he wants.

However, I don't know about the others, but for me personally the
fees are not the biggest reason.  It's just that I'd like to try
using bitcoin for such payments, as I believe such distributed
crypto-currencies are the future, and surprisingly Ali is now the
second person to refuse a bitcoin payment from me.  I was able to
pay my email host using bitcoin, but the other guy who refused
cited some vague security/ponzi concerns.

I find it strange that people would refuse a donation because
they don't like the currency used, even though it can be easily
resold in an extremely liquid market, but, oh well, if they don't
want my money, their loss. :)