[OT] bitcoin donation

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 23 04:11:36 PST 2015

On 11/21/15 2:06 AM, Joakim wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 November 2015 at 17:23:08 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On 10/30/15 3:29 AM, Joakim wrote:
>>
>>> But I don't see how bitcoin is similar to any of those, perhaps you have
>>> _some_ explanation?  You don't have to keep the bitcoin, all those sites
>>> will buy your bitcoin with dollars anytime you want.  It's just an open
>>> way to trade value- in your case, just another payment/donation method-
>>> I don't see the issue.  If it required setting up a bunch of software,
>>> sure, but those websites make it easy to set up, as they run the client
>>> for you.
>>
>> Begging the question, why not trade your bitcoin for dollars and buy
>> it using those?
>
> Simple, we're already invested in bitcoin: why waste money changing
> payment methods again, especially since it would be so easy for him to
> accept this new payment method?

One could ask the same thing about any currency that isn't the one
accepted at a store.

I looked with a tinge of fascination at what bitcoin was a while ago. I
think there is a natural averse reaction to something that is valuable
but that you cannot understand.

For example, if I told you that the phrase "jump in the fire" was
valuable, and that you could accept it for payment, you would be
hesitant to accept it I would imagine. Even if I explained that there
were complicated algorithms behind it, and that some web sites would
exchange this phrase for cash. Even if several experts and online
articles explained how this is so.

I know bitcoin has real math and genius behind it, and this is a silly
example, but for those who do not understand how it actually works
(including myself), it seems very similar in nature. Dollars (or
whatever local currency you use) are understandable, and generally
accepted at places where I shop. It's easy to see how one cannot
duplicate them without evidence of doing so (the fundamental
characteristic of currency). Online bits don't seem so uncopyable.

-Steve