Fastest JSON parser in the world is a D project

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 16 11:53:38 PDT 2015

On 10/16/15 2:24 PM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Friday, 16 October 2015 at 17:38:01 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> For example, let's say you have a product that doesn't use JSON. It's
>> proprietary, and you distribute it under a proprietary license. You
>> want to include JSON parsing, so you incorporate this GPL'd library.
>> Then you distribute it under your proprietary license.
>>
>> Recipient says "Wait, you used fast.json! That means this is now GPL,
>> I want the source". Then what?
>
> The recipient has no say in this, but the original author can demand
> that you either stop distribution or purchase a compatible license.

Exactly my point.

>> Being able to use GPL on SAAS doesn't satisfy the use case here. This
>> is a compiled library, it can be used in any piece of software.
>
> My point was that you can use GPLed code in a proprietary service. But
> you can also ship propritary code separately that the end user links
> with the GPLed code. It is only when you bundle the two that you get a
> derived work.

And I don't disagree with your point, just that it was not a correct
response to "but you definitely can't link any proprietary code aganist
[sic] it."

-Steve