Fastest JSON parser in the world is a D project

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 16 14:01:02 PDT 2015

On 10/16/15 3:36 PM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Friday, 16 October 2015 at 18:53:39 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> And I don't disagree with your point, just that it was not a correct
>> response to "but you definitely can't link any proprietary code
>> aganist [sic] it."
>
> That I don't understand. You can indeed build your executable from a mix
> of proprietary third party libraries and GPL code, that means you
> definetively can link. You cannot distribute it together to another
> third party, but your employer can use it and run a service with it.

The distribution is implied in the comment. If there isn't distribution,
the license taint isn't important, why bring it up? In any case, having
a GPL license for a library diminishes its usefulness to proprietary
software houses.

> People attribute way too many limitations to GPL codebases. For many
> organizations the GPL would be perfectly ok for their software stack.

It depends on what you do. Sure, if you are a pure SAAS house, GPL is
perfectly fine, but if one day you want to license that as an
installable server, you need to re-develop that GPL piece, and make sure
your developers never looked at the code. It's not something to take
lightly.

-Steve