Build It And They Will Not Come

Meta via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 12 21:21:38 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 12 September 2015 at 14:25:46 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> That's pretty similar to how I felt about Doom3: People
> complained how "unrealistic" it was to not be able to duct tape
> the flashlight to the gun, but...For crap's sake, it's a game
> about a demon invasion from hell and one guy single-handedly
> holding them all off. Realism and believability were obviously
> never the point. :)
>
> 'Course, that game had other issues, but realism (or lack of)
> was never one of them.
>
>> But maybe I'm misremembering. Saw it a long time ago.
>
> Never saw it myself, but that's what I'd heard it was about.

It's funny, people are willing to suspend their disbelief for
demons from hell, but not for the lack of a flashlight and duct
tape. It's probably because it was an annoying game mechanic, and
taping a flashlight to a gun is something so simple and mundane
that you *can't* suspend your disbelief at Doom Guy being unable
to find a way to use both at once somehow.