Go 1.5

Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 21 20:59:30 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 at 02:15:51 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> Interesting. Not to resurrect the older D vs. Rust thread, but
> I have heard it that it can be painful to do some things in
> Rust. D often has the ability to do unsafe things, like disable
> the GC. I was looking at how Rust has raw pointers and smart
> pointers. I'm curious as to what it is missing that is making
> things more difficult for people. If you or anyone has any idea.

My knowledge of Rust is only cursory, but if you want to graphs
(like a doubly linked list) you have to use a different pointer
type. Just like in c++ where you have to use shared_ptr (+
weak_ptr or raw pointers) and not unique_ptr. You sometimes also
have to explicitly state relationships between lifetimes (that
one object outlives another).