Google Summer of Code

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 23 04:18:05 PDT 2016

On Friday, 22 April 2016 at 22:43:43 UTC, CraigDillabaugh wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that the D Foundation has been awarded
> 4 slots for the 2016 Google Summer of Code.
>
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/5078256051027968/

Congratulations to everyone involved -- this is really good news!

> Sebastian Wilzbach
> Science for D - a non-uniform RNG

For obvious reasons, I'm particularly interested in this one.  Do
I take it right that the project will be based on this research
paper?
http://epub.wu.ac.at/3158/1/techreport-110.pdf

I would be very happy to offer advice and support for this
project, if that would be welcome.

> They faced very stiff competition, and unfortunately we had to
> turn down a number of very good proposals.  Perhaps we should
> have been more greedy and asked for six or seven slots.

Personally I'm a little sad that the flatbuffers project was
rejected -- it would have made an interesting complement to the
existing protocol buffers library, dproto.

> I hope the community will extend a warm welcome to these
> students, and we welcome all of your efforts in helping these
> students achieve success in the coming months.
>
> Finally, thanks to all our mentors who put in hours of work in
> evaluating the proposals to this point.

This is fantastic work -- thank you everyone!