Running a D game in the browser

Mark J Twain via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 3 18:42:07 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 3 August 2016 at 20:26:23 UTC, Sebastien Alaiwan
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally managed to compile some D code to asm.js, using
> Emscripten.
>
> It had been done by one dude several years ago, but some
> changes in the inner workings of Emscripten (the introduction
> of fastcomp, also probably combined with changes in the way LDC
> generates LLVM bitcode) made it impossible to use the same
> technique.
>
> You can play a minimalistic demo:
> http://code.alaiwan.org/dscripten/full.html
>
> The source code + toolchain deployment scripts are available on
> github:
> https://github.com/Ace17/dscripten
>
> And a blogpost explaining the technique is available here:
> http://code.alaiwan.org/wp/?p=103
> (Spoiler: at some point, it involves lowering the source code
> back to C)
>
> Please let me know what you think!

Interesting but a bit lame.

1. The movement should continue in the same general direction, if
not exactly the same. It is impossible to avoid something that
can do anything.

2. The movement shouldn't accelerate so fast, it's harder to
control where you want to go when if you hold the key down a you
end up on the other side of the screen.

Of course, I doubt this was a game intended to be fun ;)

The good news is that you have a lot of upside. Consider making a
video player... replace stinking flash! Could create better
websites by having more programmatic functionality, etc.. (more
app like websites)

The upside, from the initial looks, seems to be quite good if you
go in that direction.