Qt's MOC getting replicated in D for Calypso

Brad Roberts via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 21 09:21:51 PST 2016

On 2/21/2016 9:09 AM, Elie Morisse via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 February 2016 at 17:34:48 UTC, Nicolas F. wrote:
>> This is really cool and an interesting project, though I've got one
>> concern: How will this fit in with the rest of the C++ efforts done
>> upstream? (...) or is the goal to upstream these changes and make them
>> an officially supported feature?
>
> The two efforts are independent, and the main issue with Calypso's
> approach: it's tied to LDC, LLVM and Clang. Although I had a slight hope
> that the approach would get recognized as allowing perfect interfacing
> with C++ incl. things unthinkable with the « from scratch » approach
> (like C++ template instantiation) and give D an edge that would probably
> be sufficient to make lots and lots of people switch from C++ to D, as
> long as DMD is there and a GDC/GCC version isn't proved feasible there's
> no question about whether this approach should get officially endorsed
> or not, and nevertheless the current efforts towards better C++ support
> in DMD should still yield important results.
>
> Calypso will exist as a LDC plugin, and yes code using Calypso features
> will only be build-able by LDC+Calypso.
>
>> As I see it the goal here is to spearhead a working Qt <-> D
>> interaction, but how would this be used in production? Would Calypso
>> simply be run to generate bindings
>
> The goal of Calypso is to make any C++ library of any complexity usable
> in D straightaway, and there's no binding involved.
>
> moc was a barrier for Qt because it only parses C++ code, and Qt's C++
> API can hardly be used without the code moc generates.

Is there anything preventing Calypso from turning into a code and
interface generator?  Making it an application that is part of the build
rather than a plug in to ldc would make it available to both dmd and gdc
users, no?