Battle-plan for CTFE

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon May 9 15:55:14 PDT 2016

On Monday, 9 May 2016 at 20:24:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/9/2016 9:57 AM, Stefan Koch wrote:
>>[...]
>
> The memory consumption problem, at least, can be resolved by
> using stack temporaries instead of allocating new nodes. This
> was already done in constfold.d, but not in the rest of the
> interpreter.
>
> Doing that will (I predict) also double its speed right there.

Thanks, your advice is most helpful and a good first stop-gap.

Still the current state of CTFE is almost not maintainable
  and I would really prefer a clean-slate approach.

SDC benefits extremely from the extra level of indirection,
however I do understand that SDC and DMD have diffrent goals
regarding compile-speed.

Also I feel that good code has found it's most beautiful shape
when it's simplicity makes it inevitable, at least the
Ctfe-Mechanism has not reached this point yet, imo.