SecureD - A simple cryptography library for D

Adam Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 13 17:04:33 PST 2016

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 11/12/16 8:15 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> Hello DLang,
>>
>> I wanted to announce that I have completed the bulk of the work on my
>> Cryptography library for D, SecureD. I was inspired to do this project
>> by Stan Drapkin and his Inferno.NET project, however, the two projects
>> NOT compatible.
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> Let me know what you think!
>
> I'm not a crypto guru or even a casual user. But I think it's very
> important that we have something like this for D, thanks for your work!

You're welcome. There are more goodies in the pipe. :)

> I know vibe.d uses crypto for https usage. Any ideas/comparison with
> that? Would the code look better with your lib instead? Would it be more
> secure? Having vibe.d as a consumer would be a huge boost to testing/usage.

vibe.d uses OpenSSL for HTTPS streaming, I use OpenSSL for the
cryptographic primitives it supports. A benefit is that you only have to
link one library. And vibe.d's code absolutely would look cleaner.
Unfortunately, my library targeted for long-term storage scenarios, and
SSL is a streaming scenario.

To my mind, you would use OpenSSL for HTTPS as part of an HTTP or web
library like vibe.d. Anything I implement would be lower level and not
very useful outside of that scenario. It's not a bad idea, but I think
it's outside the scope of what my library is trying to accomplish.

My apologies for not more clearly noting that I was targeting long-term
storage scenarios, I meant to in the write-up and it must've slipped
through the edits.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender