"Competitive Advantage with D" is one of the keynotes at C++Now 2017

XavierAP via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 25 06:57:53 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 06:08:16 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:

> I have to say it took me a very long time to come up with the
> title and the abstract. How could I sell D to C++ experts?
> Luckily, I asked Manu and among a long list of ideas he said
> "it's about saving time" and "time is money". How can you argue
> with that? ;)

I do agree, but C++ people may be less open to buy the whole
package at once... The other speakers (Rust, Haskell) will talk
about specific things that they regard as nicer in their
languages compared to C++ (safe memory access, concurrency in
Rust; side effect safety in Haskell). C++ users can more easily
agree to these individual points and later become interested in
the other languages.

It's true that D's paradigm is less different from C++ and it's
more about being better designed and safer as a whole. It's like,
sure you can write 80% of D programs in C++ with only twice the
typing at most, as long as your compiler supports C++14 at least,
and you're super careful with memory... but you'll still be
driven insane by the remaining 20% ;)