GSoC 2018 - Your project ideas

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 00:28:11 UTC 2017

On 12/5/17 10:20, Seb wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2018 is about to start soon [1] (the
> application period for organizations is in January 2018).
> Hence, I would very happy about any project ideas you have or projects
> which are important to you.
> And, of course, if you would be willing to mentor a student, please
> don't forget to tell me.
> You can always reach me via mail (seb [at] wilzba [dot] ch) or on Slack
> (dlang.slack.com). There's also a special #gsoc channel.
>
> I have also started to work over the ideas from last year [2], but this
> page is currently WIP.
>
> @Students: if you have any questions or maybe have an idea for a project
> yourself, please feel free to contact me. I'm more than happy to help!
>
> I am looking forward to hearing (1) what you think can be done in three
> months by a student and (2) will have a huge impact on the D ecosystem.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Seb
>
> [1] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
> [2] https://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2018_Ideas

I am absolutely up for mentoring this year and there are some fantastic
projects on this list. The ones I'd be willing to mentor are:

std.database - I've done a significant amount of work on this (not on
github yet). And I have almost two decades of experience with various
SQL interface libraries. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly, and
would be able to work very closely with the student. :)

std.eventloop - This will be needed if I am ever going to get
Async/Await off the ground.

std.decimal - I need this for some personal projects.

Garbage Collector - It's not on the list but somebody mentioned it.
There are actually two PR's outstanding for a precise GC from the 2016
GSoC I mentored; here: https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1603 and
here: https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1977. But there is still a
ton of room for improvement. There are more areas that precision could
be expanded too. The 2016 student started playing around with a
type-based pooling collector. There are a number of ideas we could
explore. Note that I'm not a big fan of the fork()-based GC idea since
it's limited to *nix based systems

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender