GSoC 2018 - Your project ideas

Martin Tschierschke mt at smartdolphin.de
Mon Dec 11 09:14:29 UTC 2017

On Friday, 8 December 2017 at 06:43:22 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> On Thursday, 7 December 2017 at 22:26:08 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 5 December 2017 at 18:20:40 UTC, Seb wrote:
>>> I am looking forward to hearing (1) what you think can be
>>> done in three months by a student and (2) will have a huge
>>> impact on the D ecosystem.
>>>
>>> [2] https://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2018_Ideas
>>
>> I see there is a dub section in [2]. Maybe another issue that
>> has been brought up repeatedly fits in that category, namely
>> extending code.dlang.org in various ways?
>
> +1111
>
> Indeed enhancing user experience of code.dlang.org such as
> showing github stars and e.g. downloads per month would be way
> more important then build tool itself.

+10^^4

I recommend to add a "donate for button", and to evaluate and
visualize how many people are donating, for a certain package.
This might give strong evidence where to invest more time - man
power.
In the first step the D Foundation should get all money and
should try to use it to support the most often selected packages,
to avoid loosing focus.