Questionnaire

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 9 02:38:11 PST 2017

Am Wed, 08 Feb 2017 21:41:24 +0000
schrieb Mike <none at none.com>:

> On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 18:27:57 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko
> wrote:
> > 1. Why your company uses  D?
>
> We don't use D.
>
> > 2. Does your company uses C/C++, Java, Scala, Go, Rust?
>
> C/C++.  Currently exploring Rust.
>
> > 3. If yes, what the reasons to do not use D instead?
>
> * The powers that be in my company are the kind of C programmers
> that can't understand why anyone would want to use C++ (i.e.
> Electrical engineers that write software).

I always felt like C is the better designed language when compared to
C++. Of course C misses many features of C++ and C also has some
badly designed features (preprocessor, header/include system, function
pointer syntax, array [n] not attached to the type but to the variable
identifier). But among some useful features C++ also adds much more
noise on top of the already existing C misfeatures: ugly template
syntax, iostreams/pipe syntax, operator overloading for controversial
operators, c++ namespaces, multiple inheritance, ...

Of course C has limited means for abstraction and therefore is not
suitable for certain projects. But the language feels 'cleaner' imho,
C++ sources files using templates and similar features are often hard to
read.

But OTOH I'm an electrical engineer as well ;-)

-- Johannes