Questionnaire

Claude via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 10 02:47:45 PST 2017

> 1. Why your company uses  D?

My company does not use D. If I had the time, I really think I
could integrate D into our build system, probably forcing it a
bit: "Oh and by the way, that new library I wrote happens to be
written in D..." (We have Vala in our build system, how worse
could it be?).

I use it for personal projects.

> 2. Does your company uses C/C++, Java, Scala, Go, Rust?

We use C/C++/assembly for system stuff. And Java for Android
applications. We run Linux or Android on ARM embedded systems.

> 3. If yes, what the reasons to do not use D instead?

Nobody knows about D. Most system developers use C here, half of
them don't like C++ and scorn Java. And most of them don't know
about D apart from my close colleagues which probably must hate
it without having even used it, just because I always bring it up
in any unrelated conversation at lunch.

> 2. Have you use one of the following Mir projects in production:

No, but it could be very useful for DSP routines. I hope Mir (and
D) to have the success it deserves.

> 4. Have you use one of the following Tamedia projects in your
> production:

No.

> 5. What D misses to be commercially successful languages?

I don't know, I'm not a sales-person at all.
I also like D because it's got that "made by developers for
developers" thing. I'm an idealist, I'd prefer D to be successful
because of its cheer intrinsic value as a programing language,
rather than because we throw big money at it.

> 6. Why many topnotch system projects use C programming language
> nowadays?

For history reasons. And because of its simplicity (and tooling
etc), and its "system" trait.
I don't buy the "C compiles bugs" argument. Every languages in
the world produce bugs [1].

I noticed the hardest and most insiduous bugs could always be
avoided if the software was more carefully designed upfront,
especially for real-time or concurrent software.

I use C a lot, it's my favorite language with D, though I'm not a
proselyte. I use C++ only as "C with class".

[1] http://jonathanwhiting.com/writing/blog/games_in_c/