Updated LDC snap package with link-time optimization (LTO) support

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 10 12:10:54 PST 2017

On Friday, 10 February 2017 at 16:37:13 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Snaps-v-Flatpaks-Linux-Distros

Please don't ask me to read that dreadful, dreadful website :-\

I have read the blogpost that article summarizes.  My own
feelings are:

   * short term up-to-dateness of snapd is probably something that
will
     sort itself out in good time

   * the 'centralization' of the Ubuntu snap store (which serves
all
     snap users on all distros) isn't really true, but inasmuch as
it
     is a thing, it's an asset: one place of delivery for all snap
     users, a bunch of automated security checking guaranteed on
every
     upload, no burden to host one's own repository or for the
user to
     need to know about multiple repos ... compare with the flatpak
     website where every highlighted download is coming from a
different
     site

Basically: snaps provide an easy way to define a package that can
reach a lot of developers, now, with minimal infrastructural
effort required.  That seems a worthwhile investment to me.