Work on ARM backend for DMD started

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 3 23:50:49 PDT 2017

On Monday, 3 July 2017 at 23:16:07 UTC, solidstate1991 wrote:
> While I currently don't have an ARM based hardware that would
> be easy to develop on, I'm planning to use QEMU to emulate some
> form of ARMv6 CPU, as it'll be the main target, as it's still
> being used in devices like the Raspberry Pi. ARMv5 is being
> considered if it doesn't need a lot of work, although I don't
> see a lot of reason behind doing it besides of the possibility
> of enabling the development of homebrew GBA, NDS, GP32, etc
> stuff.
>
> As I became unemployed recently, I have a lot more time for
> development, so time now isn't an issue. Or at least until I
> find a job, which is hard due to my state as a college student,
> which I'm on the verge of losing it.
>
> I would accept your input on various things, like if I should
> do some adjustments to the in-line assembly stuff, whether I
> should care about thumb (reduced size instruction set, not
> available on some newer targets) or not, etc. Got my hands on
> some official reference manual, it wouldn't hurt if I could
> research other ones too.

I'm aware that this is a topic that's occasionally brought up,
but as someone is proposing to go from idea to implementation.
It seems like a good time to point out.

Someone did this 5 years ago as part of splitting the backend
into interfaces - or at least as a working concept that the new
interfaces actually allowed you to implement a new target.

Maybe you should use their work as a starting or reference point.
  You'd probably save yourself most the trouble of working out how
things connect.

Iain.