New library: open multi-methods

Jean-Louis Leroy via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 18 00:06:10 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 18 July 2017 at 04:26:42 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 07/16/2017 10:24 AM, Jean-Louis Leroy wrote:
> > TL;DR: see here
> https://github.com/jll63/methods.d/blob/master/README.md
>
> Woot! :) I'm so happy to see this project complete.
>
> Honestly, growing up with languages without this feature (C and
> C++), I've not even known that I needed this feature but your
> example (e.g. matrix multiplication) are very convincing.

Thanks :) I added another example that shows how open methods are
a superior alternative to Visitor:
https://github.com/jll63/methods.d/blob/master/examples/novisitor/source/app.d

> If there are enough differences compared to your C++ articles,
> perhaps you may consider following this up with a blog post. It
> would be nice to see some performance results as well like you
> have on your C++ articles.

Yes I will probably write something. You mean on the D Blog?

As for performance, I have a first result:
https://github.com/jll63/methods.d/blob/master/benchmarks/source/benchmarks.d#L122 but I still have to implement the "first argument optimization". I am working on it.

J-L