Release D 2.075.0

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 22 02:04:00 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 at 07:19:03 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
> version 2.067 that still had the C++ frontend took more than
> 100 seconds. I think if the backend is translated to D,
> building the compiler will take not more than 2 seconds.

Using ccache solves the (tiny) problem as the backend hardly
every changes.
But even without ccache `make -C src -f posix.mak
../generated/linux/release/64/backend.a -j8` runs in about a
second on my machine, hardly anything that needs optimization
given that it's a solid codebase with little ongoing development.
Also translating the C++ backend to D zero benefit to D users (at
worst it introduces codegen bugs). I'm inclined to say we should
rather spent our time on the various more important issues.
It was a good move for the frontend as that will allow us to make
use of D features to improve the code/architecture and to
eventually turn it into a proper library.
Converting the stable and well tested codebase of the backend,
which will hardly receive any feature development, is unlikely to
ever pay off.