Compile-Time Sort in D

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 9 08:16:56 PDT 2017

On 6/9/17 10:49 AM, Stefan Koch wrote:
> On Friday, 9 June 2017 at 12:15:50 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>  [it] can use the *actual* i/o routines [at compile-time] you would
>> use at runtime is pretty impressive.
>>
>> Stefan would have a field day with this power :)
>
> Infact I think this would scale pretty badly.
> I do not want to debug some ctfe which loads dlls and does god what to
> the environment.
> Even the restricted form of ctfe D supports is pretty hard to get right.
> If I'd had to worry about an interface to runtime code I'd be a little
> unhappy.

I kind of remember you saying at dconf2016 "If only CTFE could write to
the filesystem, I could fully support sqlite at compile time!"

or something like that.

At least in terms of i/o printing to the console or whatnot, it would be
cool to be able to do so at compile-time just directly with writeln. As
of now, a CTFE function can't call writeln, and it also can't
pragma(msg, ...) because it has to be written as a runtime function.

-Steve