Faster Command Line Tools in D

Jon Degenhardt via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed May 24 15:56:58 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 21:46:10 UTC, cym13 wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 21:34:08 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> It's now #4 on the front page of Hacker News:
>>
>> https://news.ycombinator.com/news
>
> The comments on HN are useless though, everybody went for the
> "D versus Python" thing and seem to complain that it's doing a
> D/Python benchmark while only talking about D
> optimization...even though optimizing D is the whole point of
> the article. In the same way they rant against the fact that
> many iterations on the D script are shown while it is obviously
> to give different tricks while being clear on what trick gives
> what.
>
> I am disappointed because there are so many good things to say
> about this, so many good questions or remarks to make when not
> familiar with the language, and yet all we get is "Meh, this
> benchmark shows nothing of D's speed against Python".

Its not easy writing an article that doesn't draw some form of
criticism. FWIW, the reason I gave a Python example is because it
is very commonly used for this type of problem and the language
is well suited to it. A second reason is that I've seen several
posts where someone has tried to rewrite a Python program like
this in D, start with `split`, and wonder how to make it faster.
My hope is that this will clarify how to achieve this.

Another goal of the article was to describe how performance in
the TSV Utilities had been achieved. The article is not about the
TSV Utilities, but discussing both the benchmark results and how
they had been achieved would be a very long article.

--Jon