Trip notes from Israel

Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri May 26 10:48:55 PDT 2017

On Friday, 26 May 2017 at 11:32:21 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 5/22/17 6:53 PM, cym13 wrote:
>
> One thing that several of those people emphasized is we need to
> improve leadership and decision. "You are trying to do
> democracy and democracy doesn't work here" (by a successful
> serial entrepreneur). Walter and I have implicitly fostered a
> kind of meritocracy whereby it's the point/argument that
> matters. It should be meritocracy of the person - good proven
> contributors have more weight and new people must prove
> themselves before aspiring to influence. Historically, anyone
> with any level of involvement with D could hop on the forum and
> engage the community and its leadership in debate.
> Subsequently, they'd be frustrated with the ensuing
> disagreement and also get a sense of cheapness - if I got to
> carry this unsatisfactory debate with the language creator
> himself, what kind of an operation is this?
>
> Since anything can be debated by anyone, everything gets
> debated by everyone. Anyone can question any decision at any
> time and expect a response. It's the moral equivalent of
> everyone in a 5000-person company building can expect to stop
> the CEO on the way to his/her office and engage them in a
> conversation of any length. The net consequence is slower
> progress.
>
> Where we need to be is fostering strong contributions and
> contributors. The strength of one's say is multiplied by
> his/her contributions (and that simply means pulled PRs,
> successful DIPs - not "won" debates).

I strongly suggest to have a clear and transparent procedure to
collect impressions and  suggestion from *commercials* that are
*actually using* the language in production, and separate those
from other things to discuss.

Guru meditation: try not to loose talented contributors
involved... Dicebot, Kenji, Bearofile... what's happened, and
what can be done on this front?

Sincerely
/Paolo