DCompute is now in the master branch of LDC

Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon May 29 18:10:31 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 30 May 2017 at 00:12:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/29/2017 3:52 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>>> How about calling it D-GPU ? I bet you'd get a lot more
>>> clicks on a name like that.
>>
>> Thanks, I called it dcompute because naming things is right up
>> there with cache invalidation.
>> Calling it D-GPU would be misleading because there should be
>> no reason you can't use the generated SPIRV on DSPs, FPGAs and
>> whatever else there is an OpenCL runtime for.
>
> From https://github.com/libmir/dcompute :
>
> "This project is a set of libraries designed to work with a
> modified ldc to enable native execution of D on GPUs (and other
> more exotic target of OpenCL, hereafter just 'GPUs')."

OK, I should probably reword that.

>> The clicks should be rectifiable with a good title and
>> description.
>
> Many years ago, D immutable types were called 'invariant'.
> People always asked what invariant meant, and we'd reply
> "invariant types are immutable" and then they'd understand.
>
> After going through that for the thousandth time, we renamed
> 'invariant' to 'immutable', and the questions ceased.
>
> The trouble is, all I usually see is simply "DCompute". I have
> to click on a link or do some searching to see what it is for.
> There's nothing to suggest that it's for me if I'm interested
> in using D for FPGA programming. Google isn't going to index it
> under "FPGA".
>
> I'm sorry about being pushy about this, but I really want
> DCompute to succeed, and the current name will impair this.
> Having the right name and branding is extremely important.
>
> A descriptive title could be:
>
> "D-GPU: native D code running on GPUs, FPGAs and DSPs"

Well the GitHub project description is "Native execution of D on
GPUs" I don't want to do false advertising for features that I
don't have yet but I will update to reflect this, I'll be
surprised if google doesn't pick up on 'dlang fpga' along with
DHDL.

there are also GitHub topics [1] which I will also properly fill
out. I just done a pass over the README.md

[1]: https://github.com/blog/2309-introducing-topics