DCompute is now in the master branch of LDC

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue May 30 14:02:31 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 19:23:42 Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 May 2017 at 18:06:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > I fear the conversation will go like this, like it has for me:
> >  N: DCompute
> >  W: What's DCompute?
> >  N: Enables GPU programming with D
> >  W: Cool!
> >
> > instead of:
> >  N: D-GPU
> >  W: Cool! I can use D to program GPUs!
>
> This was literally what happened to me when I saw the headline.

The same thing happened to me when dcompute was brought up at dconf.
Personally, "compute" just seems like a synonym for calculate that implies
that a computer was used. So, compute seems incredibly generic to me and has
no connection whatsoever to GPUs - but then again, I don't do GPU
programming at all. It wouldn't surprise me if what this comes down to is
that folks who regularly do GPU programming would think that compute likely
referred to the GPU, whereas those who don't wouldn't, but I don't know.
However, I would think having GPU in the name would connect with more people
than compute would, since it would also mean something to those who aren't
intimately familiar with the domain, whereas compute likely doesn't.

- Jonathan M Davis