LDC 1.9.0 beta

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Apr 26 08:56:23 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 25 April 2018 at 13:36:50 UTC, Rel wrote:

> This is nice to hear, but just to make it clear, what steps do
> I need to take to for example build a Mac OSX binary on Windows
> or Linux? Can I just download libs from prebuilt LDC for Mac
> OSX, put them somewhere in my current LDC installation and it
> will work?

In theory yes, in practice unfortunately no, see [1]. You would
also need the macOS SDK. In short, the LLD linker does not
support some magic linker symbols that LDC is dependent on.

I've created a Dockerfile that uses LDC to cross-compile
targeting macOS. It does not use the LLD linker. Note, the base
Docker image pulls the macOS SDK from a Dropbox account. I've
compiled this [3] repositories using that image.

> I'm also waiting so much for LDC to be independent of MS Visual
> Studio libs, and ship MinGW libs with the installation or
> something. I thought you had some troubles getting LLVM to work
> with MinGW libs, is it still true?

Apparently the MinGW libraries are too old. LDC requires the
libraries from Visual Studio 2015 (I think) or later.

[1] https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/2662
[2]
https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/docker-ldc-darwin/blob/master/Dockerfile
[3] https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/d_webkit_test