Dpp on run.dlang.io

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 02:17:28 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 4 August 2018 at 09:43:13 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> On Saturday, 4 August 2018 at 02:39:23 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
>>
>> Cool! Can we now deprecate and eventually jettison C/C++
>> bindings from druntime, please?
>
> Why?

The C standard library not a true and intrinsic dependency of D,
and is outside of D's charter.  There are druntime
implementations that leverage the C standard library, but I
believe that was largely done for expediency.  If one wants to
leverage the C standard library for a certain druntime
implementation, that's fine, but it should be privately imported.

D is a much more capable programming language than C, and
whatever functionality is being imported from the C standard
library can be better implemented in D with compile-time
optimizations via templates, memory safety, and other benefits.

Mike