Dpp on run.dlang.io

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 07:24:15 UTC 2018

On Monday, 6 August 2018 at 02:17:28 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> The C standard library not a true and intrinsic dependency of
> D, and is outside of D's charter.  [...]
>
> D is a much more capable programming language than C, and
> whatever functionality is being imported from the C standard
> library can be better implemented in D with compile-time
> optimizations via templates, memory safety, and other benefits.

So if I understood correctly, you did not mean ejecting core.stdc
but that DRuntime should not depend on it? Yeah, that sound
reasonable for me too (If it is practical effort), regardless of
DPP. But C libraries should be kept as a backup for platforms
where there aren't D implementations. For example, IO functions
could first try (using design by introspection) some
implementation like https://github.com/schveiguy/iopipe. And if
that does not support the enviroment, then fallback to C IO.