DConf 2019: Shepherd's Pie Edition

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 22:36:05 UTC 2018

On 12/22/18 12:22 PM, Joakim wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 17:13:06 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 16:57:10 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not trying to discuss it with you or the community. I'm asking
>>> the D team who're making this decision why it's being made, despite
>>> all the reasoning in that thread, and reiterating that it's a bad
>>> move. I suspect they're not thinking this through, but they can speak
>>> for themselves.
>>
>> The decision was made because your reasoning failed to convince anyone
>> involved in the planning that maintaining the current format of DConf
>> is a mistake. Nor do they agree with you that it's a bad move. We like
>> the current format and see no need to change it at this time.
>
> I see, so you admit no reasoning was involved on your part? Because you
> present none, either there or here.

Huh? It's their decision, not yours. Even if the decision has no reason
at all, it's still theirs. What is the problem? Start your own D
"conference competitor" if you think you can do better.

>> If you would like to carry on another debate about this, please open
>> another thread in thhe General forum. This one isn't the place for it.
>> Thanks!
>
> As I just noted, I don't care to "debate" it with people who make no
> arguments. Instead, I'm asking you or whoever made this horrible
> decision why it's being made.

Nobody cares to debate something that has already been scheduled and
planned, the time to bring up concerns was earlier, when you brought it
up before. But that failed to convince, now it's decided, time to move on.

> If it's such a great idea, that should be an easy case to make, compared
> to the alternatives given. Yet all I get is a bunch of stone-walling,
> suggesting no reasoning was actually involved, just blindly aping others
> and the past.

It is easy, for those who have attended conferences and like them --
they work well. All past dconfs are shining examples. Just drop it and
move on to something else. You lost the battle for this one, it's no
longer up for discussion.

-Steve