Beta 2.079.0

psychoticRabbit meagain at meagain.com
Fri Feb 23 04:06:23 UTC 2018

On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 03:26:11 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 03:20:22 UTC, psychoticRabbit
> wrote:
>> compared to the current change in beta.
>
> FWIW the change is almost gone from the beta:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7939

I'm glad common sense seems to be winning ;-)

This is a good case for 'review of process' I think.

The original request for change was very flawed, in that it
presupposed "importing as an expenditure that should be
minimized.".

I think that is highly debatable, and more people should have had
the opportunity to comment on that.

Second, none of the proposed syntax options was sufficiently
clear, for the brain to chunk into its components. This is a
serious issue and should be of greatest priority when introducing
changes to syntax (no matter how small the change).

Changes to syntax need to be tested widely, for precisely this
reason. You can do whole Phd's on this topic.

Third, making D more and more like a quick scripting/hacking
language (by removing or hiding so called 'noise', is not a good
idea in my opinion. That too seemed to be a motivator for at some
aspect of the change.