I have a plan.. I really DO

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 11:19:56 UTC 2018

On Monday, 2 July 2018 at 05:20:51 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 15:40:20 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>> On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 14:01:11 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

>>> What should and shouldn't go in the standard library for a
>>> language is something that's up for a lot of debate and is
>>> likely to often be a point of contention. There is no clear
>>> right or wrong here. Languages that have had very sparse
>>> standard libraries have done quite well, and languages that
>>> have had kitchen sink libraries have done quite well. There
>>> are pros and cons to both approaches.
>>>
>>> - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>> I agree.
>>
>> But here I'm just talking of the "public image" of the
>> language.
>>
>> Languages which integrates HTTP-related components in their
>> standard library, and advertize on that (like Crystal for
>> instance), obviously apply a different "marketing" strategy
>> than languages which have chosen not to do so.
>>
>> That's all I say...
>
> Two points:
>
> - Andrei pushed to include vibe.d but it didn't happen.
>
> "There's no web services framework (by this time many folks
> know of D, but of those a shockingly small fraction has even
> heard of vibe.d). I have strongly argued with Sönke to bundle
> vibe.d with dmd over one year ago, and also in this forum.
> There wasn't enough interest."
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/nipb14$ldb$1@digitalmars.com
>
> - As you acknowledge, integration has drawbacks too. I thought
> this was an interesting recent article about how it has now
> hobbled one of the biggest tech companies in the world:
>
> https://stratechery.com/2018/intel-and-the-danger-of-integration/
>
> I don't think the web matters enough these days that it is
> worth bundling, which is why a webassembly port is also not
> worth it for most:
>
> https://www.mobiloud.com/blog/mobile-apps-vs-the-mobile-web/

Instead of trying to integrate vibe.d, which I don't think would
be a good idea, personally I'd rather suggest taking the
opportunity to design the interface of those standard
HTTP-related components from scratch (listener server, fibers,
channels, etc), independently from vibe.d and with a minimalistic
mindset, by taking inspiration mainly from Go, along with Crystal
and vibe.d, even if the implementation will obviously end up
being very similar to the one of vibe.d.