I have a plan.. I really DO

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Mon Jul 2 05:20:51 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 15:40:20 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 14:01:11 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> On Sunday, July 01, 2018 13:37:32 Ecstatic Coder via
>> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:

>>> Yeah I know, guess who asked for it...
>>>
>>> But the last step, which is including such functionality into
>>> the standard library , will never happen, because nobody here
>>> seems to see the point of doing this.
>>>
>>> I guess those who made that for Go and Crystal probably did
>>> it wrong.
>>>
>>> What a mistake they did, and they don't even know they make a
>>> mistake, silly them... ;)
>>
>> What should and shouldn't go in the standard library for a
>> language is something that's up for a lot of debate and is
>> likely to often be a point of contention. There is no clear
>> right or wrong here. Languages that have had very sparse
>> standard libraries have done quite well, and languages that
>> have had kitchen sink libraries have done quite well. There
>> are pros and cons to both approaches.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> I agree.
>
> But here I'm just talking of the "public image" of the language.
>
> Languages which integrates HTTP-related components in their
> standard library, and advertize on that (like Crystal for
> instance), obviously apply a different "marketing" strategy
> than languages which have chosen not to do so.
>
> That's all I say...

Two points:

- Andrei pushed to include vibe.d but it didn't happen.

"There's no web services framework (by this time many folks know
of D, but of those a shockingly small fraction has even heard of
vibe.d). I have strongly argued with Sönke to bundle vibe.d with
dmd over one year ago, and also in this forum. There wasn't
enough interest."
https://forum.dlang.org/post/nipb14$ldb$1@digitalmars.com

- As you acknowledge, integration has drawbacks too. I thought
this was an interesting recent article about how it has now
hobbled one of the biggest tech companies in the world:

https://stratechery.com/2018/intel-and-the-danger-of-integration/

I don't think the web matters enough these days that it is worth
bundling, which is why a webassembly port is also not worth it
for most:

https://www.mobiloud.com/blog/mobile-apps-vs-the-mobile-web/