I have a plan.. I really DO

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 06:43:44 UTC 2018

> D has a very diverse use case so the generalization is moot.
> For example I prefer having the gc manage memory for me...For
> most of the things I do with D...contrary to other opinions.

+1

For most D use cases (including mine, which is file processing),
D's GC is a blessing, and one of its main advantages over C++,
IMHO.

And if you want to use D for C++-like use cases where you don't
want it, this generally leads to having to reinvent the wheel in
order to avoid unwanted garbage collections. For instance :

https://github.com/gecko0307/dlib/blob/master/dlib/container

That's why I'm personally in favor of D supporting
reference-counting based memory management directly in its syntax
(T@, etc), and also providing the GC-free standard components
(strings, slices, maps, etc).

PS : BTW kudos to Timur Gafarov, it's a pity so many D developers
prefer to start developing their own engines instead of helping
Tibur finish Dagon to make it a production-ready game engine
(adding terrain, UI, networking, etc). Very promising work IMHO !

https://dlang.org/blog/2016/09/16/project-highlight-timur-gafarov/

And having the language help him (native strong/weak references)
would be nice too :D