I have a plan.. I really DO

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 22:35:51 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 3 July 2018 at 06:43:44 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>> D has a very diverse use case so the generalization is moot.
>> For example I prefer having the gc manage memory for me...For
>> most of the things I do with D...contrary to other opinions.
>
> +1
>
> For most D use cases (including mine, which is file
> processing), D's GC is a blessing, and one of its main
> advantages over C++, IMHO.
>
> And if you want to use D for C++-like use cases where you don't
> want it, this generally leads to having to reinvent the wheel
> in order to avoid unwanted garbage collections. For instance :
>
> https://github.com/gecko0307/dlib/blob/master/dlib/container
>
> That's why I'm personally in favor of D supporting
> reference-counting based memory management directly in its
> syntax (T@, etc), and also providing the GC-free standard

> PS : BTW kudos to Timur Gafarov, it's a pity so many D
> developers prefer to start developing their own engines instead
> of helping Tibur finish Dagon to make it a production-ready
> game engine (adding terrain, UI, networking, etc). Very
> promising work IMHO !
>
> https://dlang.org/blog/2016/09/16/project-highlight-timur-gafarov/
>
> And having the language help him (native strong/weak
> references) would be nice too :D

I waa aware aware of dlib by I never knew about the impressive he
had done with D, especially the game engine Dagon and physics
engine dmech. Shows what D can do in a clean way.

Beyond that, he took time to write detailed tutorials for the
game engine. Its definitely better for others to contribute
instead of reinventing the wheel. His work is really impressive.

https://github.com/gecko0307/dagon/wiki/Tutorials