I have a plan.. I really DO

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:10:04 UTC 2018

On Friday, 6 July 2018 at 14:14:27 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> On 07/07/2018 2:11 AM, Ecstatic Coder wrote:

>>> No triple AAA engine is going to switch to D for the
>>> following reasons:
>>> 1.)Cost vs benefit from converting C++ to D.
>>> 2.)Gamers do not care how things are implemented, they want
>>> results.
>>> 3.)There are high abundance of c++ programmers for employees
>>> to hired. I can't say the same thing for D.
>>> 4.)GC phobia.(The notorious culprit)
>>>

>>> -Alex
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Just one silly question.
>>
>> Can the following "naive" D code trigger a garbage collection
>> stall ?
>>
>> score.Text = point_count.to!string() ~ " POINTS";
>
> If the GC has been disabled (which any sane performance caring
> application should do) no.

Yeah, I know, I'm not silly.

I meant, "if you use standard D code in a game (i.e. with GC
enabled), the game may stole, but if you use standard C++ code in
a game, the game may be a bit less performant".

In C++ you don't have to disable anything, and you can still use
the standard C++ library to make your game if you want to.

With D, I CAN'T use the language and its standard library as
usual, just because of the GC "phobia".

Which would be the #1 problem for me, because "standard" D is
perfect to me, as much as "standard" C++ is nice to me.

That's my point.