I have a plan.. I really DO

bachmeier no at spam.net
Thu Jul 12 14:49:14 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 12 July 2018 at 11:36:15 UTC, RhyS wrote:

> Its the same with the donations. I stated before that D as a
> organisation with its financing feels very mysterious. You do
> not see where the money goes

I've raised this issue elsewhere. I think there would be more
incentive to donate if the money were used to do the boring
things that are needed to make the language more usable. AFAICT,
the money goes to internal compiler work to add new features to
the language in order to appeal to C++ users. The work is done in
secret (well, unless you want to go through Github threads) and
there is not much communication even after it's done.

> I think a larger issue is that a lot of older community members
> have been with the D language for years upon years and they are
> tired of people complaining on issues.

Actually, they are the ones that do most of the complaining. They
do get upset when others make false arguments though.

> Part of that is simply that people come to D looking for a easy
> language and discover the over focus on C/C++ and run into the
> issues.

True. Lately all official communications about D are about memory
management, making the language as complicated and boring as
Rust. That's not the fault of the D leadership though. It
reflects the lack of effort on the part of others that want to
use the language for something other than a C++ replacement.
There is nothing stopping anyone from building up a community
that is not connected to the core language developers. That is
actually how it works with any successful language. If you think
you could do a better job dealing with the rough edges, just go
ahead and do it. You don't need permission. That's how open
source works, and indeed, the fact that you don't need permission
is the point of open source.