I have a plan.. I really DO

RhyS sale at rhysoft.com
Fri Jul 13 19:30:07 UTC 2018

On Friday, 13 July 2018 at 13:15:07 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> At the moment, developing in Rust can be quite painful because
> of too much focus on its borrow checker, as the reference
> counting system is just a side feature, which is not deeply
> integrated into the language.
>
> And Go suffers from its own problems, mainly related to the
> excessive limitation of the language features (no genericity,
> "fake" class inheritance, etc).

Those are are big items but its the small stuff that more
frustrates. Just deal with some database result fetching. In
dynamic languages that is maybe a 5 line of code, Go makes it 4
or 5 times as big. Its just a bit too unwieldy.

> De facto they are already making room for another language to
> ultimately fill those gaps...
>
> This may be Crystal, D or another yet to come language...

Crystal maybe ... but the link Ruby / RoR does create a bit of a
artificial barrier. I do notice that Ruby ( not Rails ) is
getting more recognition these days.

D ... i am being honest but i do not see it. D really has a lot
going for it but frankly, the missing default HTTP server is just
silly these days. And no, again, Vibe.D is not a  good
alternative when it breaks on just about every D release or does
not perform multi thread correctly ( look up the documentation.
Out of date and full of unused information ).

What i personally miss is a compile language that simply gets the
job done.

Take PHP for instance, horrible issues ( a lot less as they
cleaned up a lot over the years ) but its most redeeming feature
is it gets the job done. It does not force you into a specific
pattern, its fast go get visual results, its backward
compatability is impressive ( hint hint D ), it just works out of
the box with ease.

Javascript ( the newer ES version + Node ) also match this more.

D looks usable at first for people coming from dynamic languages
but they are quickly overwhelmed with the whole C/C++ focus.

Crystal is bridging that gap but its still more or less Ruby. So
it needs to deal with some of the reputation issues.

Where is our Java / C like alternative. Swift? Unfortunately
Apple has no interest outside of its own platform and Linux
support is spotty.

Kotlin/Native? Its moving fast and most people do not realize
this. But a long time from finished.

Zig? Kind of a C alternative.

If there is a language out there that gaps that C/Java/dynamic
fast and easy feel, and offers the ability to compile down with
ease. I have not seen it.