Symmetry Autumn of Code

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Wed Jul 18 11:24:22 UTC 2018

On 18/07/2018 10:53 PM, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 at 03:19:53 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:

>>> I'd suggest adding the following to SAOC 2018 project proposals :
>>>
>>> 1/ adding a Go-like http module to the standard library
>>> 2/ adding Go-like async IO management to the standard library, i.e.
>>> fibers communicating through blocking channels
>>
>> Until we get an event loop in druntime, both of these options are off
>> the table.
>
> Sad.
>
> Then I'd suggest to add the event loop implementation to SAOC 2018 too,
> because the absence of a default http module in D's standard library may
> have very good justifications, but I'm still convinced that it doesn't
> help when trying to "sell" it to modern developers, considering that
> nowadays MANY of the applications they will develop in a professional
> facility will have to integrate http code to access or update the
> company's data.

I've said, that if we get signatures, I'll build the damn thing myself.
Signatures give a very lightweight vtable implementation while also
giving conceptual representation of structs+classes.

Which for an event loop, is a very desirable thing to have. But alas,
I'm waiting on my named parameter DIP and seeing where that goes, before
continuing work on signatures.